Langport Town Council and the Langport Town Trust (of which the Council is the sole trustee) own and administer a number of sites around Langport, and provide a range of services to the community.
The Information Centre is located in Bow Street, directly opposite the entrance to the town square car park. It is managed by the Town Clerk and staffed by volunteers. They have information leaflets, bus timetables and details of events, and are able to answer a wide range of queries. You can also purchase local books, postcards and the #whereitsto and Langport.life bag for life. Opening hours Monday – Friday 10 am to 3 pm Contact
The Town Council is now responsible for the maintenance of the churchyard. This includes ensuring that the grounds, walls and gates are kept tidy and in a state of good repair. The Walter Bagehot Memorial Fund, which is administered by the Town Trust, has repaired the grave of Walter Bagehot and his immediate family, which is a listed monument. Family grave of the Queketts Also nearby is the family grave of the Queketts, William Quekett
This unspoilt riverside area is located between the main town car park and the River Parrett. Popular with walkers and families, it is furnished with seats and picnic tables. Cocklemoor is owned by the Town Council and are responsible for its maintenance and letting, so for further information please contact the Town Council office. History The piece of land known as Cocklemoor, which lies south of Bow Street between the Back River and the River
Langport Cricket Ground Owned by Langport Town Council and located on Field Road, have for many years been the home of the Huish and Langport Cricket Club. The cricket pavilion was built in memory of the Master and Old Boys of Langport Grammar School who were killed in the First World War. It was opened on 28 March 1922 by the famous Somerset cricketer Sammy Woods.
The Town Council acquired the cemetery in 1880. A considerable amount of work has been done over recent years to improve the general appearance of the cemetery grounds. We are also in the process of transferring the manual burial records into a computerised system. For purchasing of plots or memorials please see below. Langport Cemetery Wildlife Project In 2005 Langport Town Council, led by the late Councillor Chris Madelin, undertook a project to maintain the Cemetery
Langport Cricket Ground
These grounds, located on Field Road, have for many years been the home of the Huish and Langport Cricket Club. The cricket pavilion was built in memory of the Master and Old Boys of Langport Grammar School who were killed in the First World War. It was opened on 28 March 1922 by the famous Somerset cricketer Sammy Woods.
The Town Council took over responsibility for the toilets in the town square from South Somerset District Council in 2009. They have recently had new doors fitted and other minor improvements inside. We are still negotiating with the installers about the door fittings.
The Memorial Playing Field
Owned jointly by Langport Town Council and Huish Episcopi Parish Council, the playing field is managed by the Huish Episcopi and Langport Memorial Field Committee, set up by way of a Trust Deed. Activities that take place on the site include football and tennis and it is also home to local Scout groups. There is also a Sports & Social Club. The area has recently seen the development of a Multi Use Games Area on the old tennis courts following a successful series of funding applications.
Our current priority projects are:
- renovation of the Town Hall (the Town Hall Project)
- replacement of the changing rooms at the Huish & Langport Memorial Field, including the installation of a new skate park (the Memorial Field Project)
- improvement of the river infrastructure including the reconstruction of the slipway at Huish Bridge and the provision of pontoons for landing access at various locations (the Langport River Project)
You can read more about our community projects here.
- provide grant funding to local organisations
- comment on local planning applications
- maintain footpaths within Langport
- own and organise the Christmas lights
- provide hanging baskets
- hold the Charter for the monthly market
- own a substantial amount of land on the North Moor
- liaise with local groups and other local authorities, such as the local police, neighbouring Parish Councils, the District Council and the County Council
- look after the community’s interests generally, such as renewing the town signs
Decisions about these issues are taken at our monthly meetings. Click here to see when the meetings are scheduled to take place.