This Grade 1 listed building and Scheduled Monument is owned by Langport Town Trust. Formally known as the Chantry of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is a 15th century structure with 12th century origins. Over the centuries it has housed the town hall, a Sunday School, an armoury, a museum, grammar school and, since 1891, the Portcullis Lodge of Freemasons. The name ‘Hanging Chapel’ refers to its position over the road, and not, as is sometimes claimed, to the actions of Judge Jeffreys’ ‘Bloody Assize’ after the 1685 Monmouth Rebellion.
The Hanging Chapel
During the Langport Festival in 2015 the Langport & District History Society organised a visit to the Chapel, which was very popular. They hope to make it a regular event.